Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Style Club


As a post exam treat (extrinsic motivation, if you will), I went for a chop chop hair cut in The Style Club this eve. While I was at it, I had got the old locks dyed, and am now sporting a head of browny-red hair...it's a little strange, but I think I like it! For my first ever dye job, it was less of a big deal than I expected...the guy who bestowed me with my new look, was very attentive and knowledgable about the process, and didn't scare me once, which is quite an achievement! The chit chat was fine, and sitting in the salon was like sitting inside a birthday cake - the decor is mental busy, even if the salon was not booming with custom.

I have only a little gripe - for the past 2 years I've gone to 5 different branches of Peter Marks and in every single one I have been given the Exact same haircut. Without Fail. Now, I'm well aware that if I want a different style I should say so, but does anyone remember the days when a hairdresser made suggestions for your look, what would suit you, how to change things up a little bit so you don't look exactly the same as the you you were two years ago...? When walking out of the hairdressers was like walking into your new life? Getting the same haircut every time is like getting 65% in every single exam...it's not terrible, it's just a bit...average. That said, the massage chairs are reason enough for me to make a return to The Style Club, I could do with one of those permanently in my life.

One last thing - tipping. I apologize to every hairdresser I have never tipped, but really, I don't know how. How do you tip without being patronizing ("here's a bit of pocket money, love!"), how much, when, where, tip the washer, tip the stylist, tip the blow-dryer...it's too confusing!

No comments: